Homework in this house is always a hassle. "I don't like homework!" "I'm getting angry about homework!" "I don't want to do it!" And those were just the comments CJ made today about homework! There have been tears, arguing, negotiations and promises just do a few math problems on a sheet. I don't even want to think about homework by the time he is in 3rd grade - 1st grade is hard enough! I have tried many different ways to get it done - after school, after a snack, at 5:00, before a shower, after a shower....currently it is the last thing we do at night - not the best because i want to make sure CJ gets to bed on time. However, he is more willing to sit and do it at this time because he has had a chance to do everything else he wanted to do. He will still shout," I don't like homework!" But usually sits and does it pretty quickly. As a teacher I dislike that I have to give homework - if it were up to me I would ask kids to read every night and that's it. Kids work so hard all day long in the classroom - home should be their break. CJ's schoool doesn't seem to agree with that idea. Some nights he has 2 worksheets - other nights 4 plus reading and practice spelling words. I feel like we are sitting and doing homework for 45 minutes a night - that's a lot for a 6 year old. Maybe I should suggest play be assigned as homework :)
1 comment:
And I thought homework sucked when I was a kid! But it's just as bad as a parent . . . and mine are in kindergarten!
Post a Comment