Saturday, October 29, 2011

Lessons To Remember

Temple Grandin is very well known in the autism world. She is a remarkable woman with autism who has written many books about her life to help the world better understand what someone with autism goes through. She made an appearance on ABCs Extreme Makeover last night, and I was reminded me of a few life lessons for CJ while watching the show. The family has 2 boys on the spectrum and 1 typical. I related to the mom and the inner struggles she faces every day. I hope anyone who watched it was able to have a better understanding of what not only the children go through, but the parents too. One of the things Temple said last night is that people on the spectrum don't like surprises which is why visuals (schedules and labeling) are so important. I say that often about CJ, he doesn't like the unpredictable. But when he does really well for a long period we forget how important visuals and routine are to him. The family has a quote that inspires them, ""Life isn't about the destination, it's about the journey." Well done ABC and Extreme Makeover!

No comments: