Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Crying

Now who do you think cried harder? CJ or me??? Those of you who know me well it's a no brainer. Upon seeing me at pickup CJ was crying, and screaming very loudly - and they were not tears or screams of joy people!! So of course, I think he has had a bad day and I begin to cry (I left out screaming though - didn't think it would set a good example for the other mothers). I finally get him outside and ask Chris to go ask the teacher what had happened. Nothing had happened - he had a terrific first day, followed directions, and was a good boy. That is until he saw his mama. YIKES!!!

We managed to take him out to eat - he was very hungry. At first, he was so cranky to anyone who would talk to him. The poor waitress was afraid to come to our table for fear that CJ would bite her head off. After a bowl of popcorn, and half a smoothie he said, "Mommy, Daddy I had fun at school today!" He then told us all about his day. AHHH...relief, this is what made me feel better. The fact that HE said he had a good time meant the world to me. CJ then polished of french fries, a grilled cheese, and the remainder of his smoothie!!!

As a teacher, I did the opposite of what I tell parents to do. I tell parents, don't worry; just walk away; don't let them see you upset; he'll be fine. It is so hard when the shoe is on the other foot!!!! Here's hoping tomorrow is a better day for....me:)

2 comments:

Jamie said...

You did just fine, Mama, and he's a great kid. It'll get easier.

Right? Tell me, please, tell me that's true so I survive when we start in the fall.

Tania said...

Wow - what a roller coaster! Hang in there. You did great. It is hard to be on the other foot sometimes. Easier to tell people what to do than to do it yourself. I have that problem quite a bit.
We will all survive the dreaded preschool. And they will all have so much fun that we will wonder what all the worry was about.